Um...whatever I feel like typing. You may get bored and the cool thing is you can just stop reading!

Friday, July 4, 2008

July 4th 2008

If you know me at all, you know I am obsessed with the fourth of July. Having the freedom we have is such a wonderful thing! I just love all of the red, white and blue...the cookouts, getting together with family, fireworks of course and remembering the WONDERFUL memories in Virginia Beach with my family.
As a kid, we used to go to the ocean and watch the fireworks set off of a ship. I would be wondering who I was going to marry and wished he was there with me...such a romantic holiday I think. We would always do sparklers and I would be so afraid that they would burn my hand...which they usually did. Those darn sticks are so short (that's what she said).
We would always get a fun "red, white and blue" snack that the moms made for us. My favorite was hand made Popsicles with twizzlers sticking out of them like a firework! We would always make our own "blizzards" and I always had a ton of butterfinger in mine! (not sure why I was never fat growing up...I was called the "cholesterol queen" for many years of my life) So many wonderful memories. I pray that I can have wonderful memories with my new family...Andrew, Cyrus and Eisley like I did growing up.
So lately, I have been talking with the hubs a lot about my dreams that I have ignored over the years because I didn't feel capable. I always wanted to be a wife and mom...number one dream! but i was so afraid to go for my dreams of being a fashion designer! I did not think I had it in me.
Now that I am married with two children, it's much harder to come to grips with my dream. I so badly want to pursue it. So Andy and I thought about what first step to take. I am going to start with simple designs and sew on my machine. From there, I will see if I really do love it even with all the work and maybe put my creations on "Etsy.com".
Taking this step is more of a creative outlet than just wanting to be rich and famous. I just want to know that I can do it, that I am creative and talented. That I am more than just a wife and mom (two things I love and would not trade for the world).
The struggles I have with wanting to do anything for myself, is like most moms...I feel selfish. That I am taking time away from family and allowing myself to enjoy things outside of my husband and kids. But I have to remember that God gave me these talents/gifts and wants me to use them. It's not like, "once you become a mom, it's not allowed to be about you ever". Us momma's need some time to ourselves...to recharge and maybe even have a weekly thing that gives us a creative outlet. Something that rewards us in ways that have nothing to do with being a great wife and mom...and that's okay!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds great Breena. I have the same kind of ambition, only to write books. Step out in faith and see where it leads ya'. Happy Fourth of July!

andy said...

You can do it, baby! I believe in you!

theansellfamily said...

Hey! I'm so excited that you have your own blog. I often read Andy's but sometime he can get awfully long winded... hehe. And I want to hear more updates about you and the little ones! So I'm glad you are blogging. I will definitely keep coming back. So glad you all are doing well.

Love,
Sarah

Shannon said...

Post your etsy link when you start putting stuff on there!

:) shannon